Thursday, February 01, 2007

For Teresa

This song has reminded me of you since I first heard it. The lyrics are great; the song itself is even better. You have to find it and listen to it. Anywa, here's to you, Resa: Extradinary Machine, by Fiona Apple (sung by her, at least, I don't know if she wrote it):

I certainly haven't been shopping for any new shoes-
And-I certainly haven't been spreading myself around
I still only travel by foot and by foot, it's a slow climb,
But I'm good at being uncomfortable, soI can't stop changing all the time
I notice that my opponent is always on the go-And-
Won't go slow, so's not to focus, and I notice
He'll hitch a ride with any guide, as long as
They go fast from whence he came-
But he's no good at being uncomfortable, so
He can't stop staying exactly the same
If there was a better way to go then it would find me
I can't help it, the road just rolls out behind me
Be kind to me, or treat me mean
I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine
I seem to you to seek a new disaster every day
You deem me due to clean my view and be at piece and lay
I mean to prove I mean to move in my own way, and say,
I've been getting along for long before you came into the play
I am the baby of the family, it happens, so-
Everybody cares and wears the sheeps' clothes
While they chaperone
Curious, you looking down your nose at me, while you appease-
Courteous, to try and help - but let me set your
Mind at ease-
Do I so worry you, you need to hurry to my side?-
It's very kind
But it's to no avail; I don't want the bail
I promise you, everything will be just fine
If there was a better way to go then it would find me
I can't help it, the road just rolls out behind me
Be kind to me, or treat me mean
I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine.

1 comment:

Teresa said...

Val - thanks. :) At first, I wasn't sure what to make of this song reminding me of you. I'm still not entirely sure... but I know it's sweet. I got the CD today - I love it. And I love you too. Thank you for the encouragement. You're an awesome sister.

And, BTW, since I'm gonna be in pensacola for my b-day, we are SO going to McGuires. Plan on it.