Saturday, January 26, 2008

It's My Due Date (and I'll cry if I want to)

Oh, thou foul, mocking baby ticker - zero days to go, indeed.

Here I am, on my due date (which I realize is more of a guideline, but still), sitting at work. People think I am crazy for working this far, but I would go crazy just sitting at home and waiting for something to happen, and we can use the money, so if I can work, why not work? This morning, when I was making Brian roll up my pant cuffs so they didn't get wet in all the puddles (and he tight-rolled them, too - you remember tight-rolling - he thought it was hilarious), he asked, rather hopefully, if I was feeling anything. He is off this weekend and I think he was hoping maybe it would go down on one of his days off. I had to tell him that no, there is nothing happening - barely any Braxton-Hicks contractions, no sign of my mucus plug, nothing. Nadda. He looked slightly crestfallen.

I am utterly charmed by how my job is handling the fact that I am working this far into my pregnancy - it's really rather sweet. Saturdays are usually a minimal staffing day around here, just me and one other person. I have specific instructions on what to do if I just don't feel like finishing out the day today, or if I go into labor while working today. I have a list of people to call and everything. It's lovely, and I work for and with some very wonderful, kind and sweet people for whom I am very grateful.

I have a few things left to do before Little Guy makes his arrival. I still have to clean out my car. I have washed and found places for his little newborn-sized clothing, but I have a large bag of clothes and accessories, both leftover from Jacelyn and that I have received as gifts, that still need washing and then a place to go. Our master bedroom is pretty much a disaster area - that seems to be the room we focused on the least when moving, sorting and unpacking, so there is quite a bit to be done in there. I have my bag half-packed, but not entirely, so I could do that as well. Maybe I will get all that done tomorrow, with Brian being home. And then I plan on being back at work Monday, but I will cut back to part-time, just staying until it is time to pick up Jacelyn from school. Then I have a OB appointment Tuesday, at which any progress will be taken into consideration and the induction date either moved up (I think he said it would be Thursday the 31st, if he moved it up) or left as it is. And then girl scouts Tuesday afternoon, and then back to the grind.

So that is all there is to report - that there is basically nothing to report. Last night I rubbed my belly and had a talk with Little Guy about all this not coming out stuff. He wriggled enthusiastically during the conversation but apparently took none of it to heart. Stubborn! These kids must get that from their father. So it seems I'm in it for the long haul, but that's OK. At least, for right now. Ask me next week.


Aimee said...

Going overdue stinks -- it happened with my first three and it doesn't get any easier to wait.

Good luck! I hope he makes his way out soon :)

a thorn in the pew said...

I'm going to keep you in my prayers this week. Hope everything is going well! God bless!