Monday, September 15, 2008

Heyhey---a meme!

Aimee tagged me for this meme, which I will gladly do because I love talking about my kids.



1. Post a picture of you with your kids. Oops, can't do it. Technology and its' quirks prevent me from doing so. Be assured they are quite adorable to behold, while I look tired and haggard with dark circles and bad hair.



2. How many children do you have? 2, a girl and a boy.



3. What are their ages? Bella, age 6, and Bubba, seven months



4. What do you eat for breakfast? Bella eats cereal, Bubba fruit and a homemade brown rice cereal that he hates but will begrudgingly hold in his mouth, then spit out and fingerpaint with it. I eat bran cereal because.....well, why does anyone eay bran cereal? Not because it's yummy, that's for sure.



5. Do they watch TV? Yes, alas. I am about to institute a 'TV Ticket" program that will give Bella so many tickets a week and she will have to budget them accordingly. She watches TV to the point of utter distraction. Example: the other night she was watching cartoons, and I walked by with the trash, stopped in front of her and said, "Bella, I'm going to take the trash out. OK?" She replied, "OK, mommy". I walked to trash to the dumpster and when I got back to the house she was frantically running around, sobbing and calling my name. I had to calm her down, and she said, "You just left and didn't tell me where you were going or that you were gone!". That is sad. I not only made sure (I thought!) that she heard me, I actually got a reply, and she was so into TV that she didn't remember either. Hence the TV tickets - I think they are a nice (if not somewhat hokey) way to get some balance.



6. What are their favorite activities? Bubba enjoys putting things in his mouth, crawling, and climbing into places he can't get out of. He also likes eating, smacking things, licking the sliding glass door, pina coladas and getting caught in the rain. (ha!) Bella seems to enjoy everything. Her favorites seem to be painting, playing outside with other kids, she enjoys reading, singing (especially in the shower), and plunking around on her little toy keyboard. She likes cooking and baking, too.



7. Do you get a break from them during the day? Yes - Bella is in first grade, so she's out of pocket until 3:00pM, and I work part-time during the week and full time hours on Saturday. I miss them terribly but appreciate the break. Actually, the break also makes me appreciate them more. Given the opportunity I would love to stay home with them, but.....eh, you know how it is.

8. How do you end your day? Cleaning and housework, mostly. My husband works overnight sometimes, so I also try and make sure to savor the quiet once he is gone and Bella and Bubba are in bed. And now that the weather is getting cooler I'm really loving it. With hubby gone, and Bella and Bubba tucked away for the night, I love sitting on the patio with a cold drink and enjoying the breeze (it's been in the high 60's at night here lately! somebody get me a sweater!).



9. What is your best parenting tip or advice? Whatever it is, it can wait. Since I work during the day, I try and accomplish as much as possible when the kids asleep or away or whatever. I have been known to let dishes sit in the sink, to ignore the trash that needs to go out (unless it's particularly smelly), and allow dust bunnies to build up, all for the sake of spending time with my kids. The dishes will hold another hour or two until bedtime, but Bella will only want to spend time with me for so long, and Bubba will only be willing to snuggle for so long, so I need to do all that now. It ain't a new concept, I know, but I have to remind myself all the time.


I don't think I'll tag anyone right now, so if anyone wants to pick it up and run with it, feel free. Or apply it to a pet, or personal belonging you are particularly fond of. I have to go prepare for my first girl scout meeting, which is another post entirely.

1 comment:

Aimee said...

Can I just say that it's awesome that you referenced the Pina Colada song? Very cool :)